We ended our summer travel in Udaipur, India. Udaipur known as the city of lakes or also as the “Venice of the east” is a beautiful city surrounded by lakes where the easiest and fastest way to get anywhere is by boats!
Udaipur has a different charm than the other cities we visited in India, the energy feels different and it’s truly captivating. It’s temples, rivers, palaces, lavish royal residences, history, art, colors and people makes it so special and incredible. It’s like a fairytale!!
The town is really pretty with many shops, cute restaurants, nice views and of course the royal palaces! I think it was one of my favorites town in India!
Where to Stay:
One of the most luxurious and five star hotels in the world is the Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur. This hotel is beyond beautiful surrounded by the main lake in Udaipur. The opulence and beauty of this luxury hotel can be experience as soon as you take the boat from mainland to the hotel. The hotel picked us up from the airport and drop us off at the boat pick up location. We took the hotel boat to the Oberoi Udaivilas and as soon as we were approaching the main entrance we got an amazing welcome more like a carnival welcome with dancers, drummers, camels, horses, clowns, everyone was dresses in traditional costumes from the area. So cute!!!!! We were received with rose petals from the sky, flowers necklaces and welcome gifts! yes more gifts!
Our suite was beautiful and pretty good size with Mehar inspired design with traditional decor from the area. Our king size bed was super comfy with really soft sheets. Our room featured a living room area, a sofa area overlooking the gardens and pool. The bathroom was all marble with a reclining, claw footed bathtub perfect for relaxing after a long day with a window overlooking our private terrace and garden. What I love so much about the bathroom was the lady’s powder vanity, I seriously need one of these at home!! Our suite featured a private terrace/garden as well as a semi private terrace with dining set perfect for outside dining and chaise lounge chairs overlooking the semi private pool and astonishing gardens.
The Oberoi Udaivillas features 2 restaurants (western and indian cuisine) and the food is delicious! The Oberoi Udaivilas is a really big property surrounded by gardens, trees and corridors with beautiful lake views. The spa is amazing!! I had a traditional massage at the spa and I can’t recommend it enough!! Soo relaxing!! The spa pool I love it better than the main pool because the spa pool had infinity views of lake Pichola.
If you ever stay at the Oberoi Udaivillas you will not be dissapointed! The staff is friendly and welcoming, the customer service is fantastic and sometimes a little too much! The rooms and suites are luxurious. Overall you will be treated like royalty!! I can’t recommend this hotel enough!
However, I have another hotel to recommend in Udaipur and is the world famous and one of the most romantic hotels in the world which is the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur in the middle of Lake Pichola. In our visit to Udaipur we wanted to visit the Taj Lake Palace since it was an actual palace built in 1746 and vacation residence for the Maharana and was featured in a James bond movie! So of course we wanted to go, also because you can see the palace’s beauty almost from everywhere in Udaipur. Unfortunately, to visit the hotel you have to be a hotel’s guest. So the last night in Udaipur we decided to book a night at the world famous Taj Lake Palace while keeping our room at the Oberoi Udaivilas.
Let me tell you this hotel is an actual palace that was renovated but keeps the traditional, royal decor and design from the years as a royal residence. The hotel is like a luxurious boat in the middle of the lake where you can only access with a boat with luxurious rooms and grand suites. Every room and suite has views of the lake.
We stayed at one of the palace’s royal suites with breathtaking 180 degree views of the lakes, mountains and city. The room was just like the room of a palace, with luxurious decoration, a canopy bed, a beautiful living room, dining room and an all marble bathroom with a bathtub with a window overlooking the lake.
The hotel has this magic an opulence of any real palace with all marble floors, amazing details. The pool area is small but surrounded by the lake with incredible views. The only bad thing is that the pool doesn’t get much sun in the afternoon, but you still can get sun for any of the palace’s terraces. The spa is small but charming. There are 2 restaurants and a bar at The Taj Lake Palace but we only had room service during our stay! The suite was so comfy and since we were there for just a night that we ordered room service but at dinner we got a special romantic candle light diner at the palace’s terrace overlooking the lake and the city palace! aww so perfect!
I would definitely recommend this hotel in Udaipur but maybe for just 1-2 nights since it’s a different experience to stay at a real palace and specially since it’s one of the most romantic luxury hotels in the world, however staying at the Oberoi Udaivilas you get more of a luxury resort feel with more options for amenities. So definitely if you can, stay in both!!
What to do in Udaipur:
- Visiting the City Palace in Udaipur is a must! To learn about the palace and history the best suggestion is to hire a private tour guide which you can hire at the palace’s entrance. The cost is around $20.
- Visti the Jagdish Temple Udaipur
- Monsoon Palace for amazing views of Udaipur
- Shiv Niwas Palace which it is now a hotel, it used to be the palace for guest’s of the royal family who still live in the palace next door to the now hotel.
- Gangaur Ghat, its right on Lake Pichola and it’s best to past by there on a boat.
- Jagdish Chowk is the main square of the city of Udaipur to walk and shop.
- Boating around the Lake to enjoy the views of the ancient city.
Where to eat in Udaipur:
- Suryamahal at The Oberoi Udaivilas great for breakfast and lunch. The food is really good at the Oberoi Udaivilas.
- Dinner at Chandni at the luxurious Oberoi Udaivilas. Dining al fresco, candlelights, beautiful setting, Indian and western cuisine and live traditional music and dance.
- Drinks at the Shiv Niwas Palace, you will definitely feel like on another time.
- If you are a guest at the Taj Lake Palace you can enjoy dinner at Jharokha in a beutiful setting with internationl cuisine.
- The Dining Room at Leela Palace Hotel they offer international cuisine.
- Sheesh Mahal at the Leela Palace hotel, great spot dining next to the river.
- Also, as a guest of the Taj Lake Palace hotel you can enjoy a personalized candlelight under the star dinner, private with petal roses, candles and personalized service while you dine under the stars. You can also personalized your menu. The food, the setting and the service is perfect! Very romantic and different. Definitely recommend it!
Udaipur It’s a very special city that would make your visit to India complete. It’s just a magical city called the city of lakes or the Venice of the east.. it’s Udaipur.
With our time in Udaipur we departed back to New Delhi to catch our flight to Miami. What can I say our India trip was just perfect and I can’t wait to be back on day. Till we meet again, India.
If you have any questions please comment below or email me!!! xoxo