My Greece end of summer trip finished with the most amazing visit to Santorini.
Santorini is the most magical island I ever visited. Santorini is one of the Cyclades Islands in the Aegean Sea, in a cliff above an underwater caldera across from an active volcano with beautiful views from anywhere in the island to the sea, perfect islands and the most amazing sunsets in the world.
Santorini is definately one of the most romantic cities in Greece and you have to add it to your travel list because is worthy!
Where to Stay:
Before traveling we booked a hotel in Santorini, there wasn’t much information about the hotel but on the pictures it looked amazing. We ended up arriving to Santorini by ferry from Mykonos (btw there are 3 ways to get there from Mykonos, by air with a stop in Athens, by ferry which takes 3.5 hours or by helicopter which is the most expensive option). When we arrived to the hotel we booked our first impression was nothing like we imagined or saw in the pictures. To make the story short we were not happy with the hotel so we decided to look online for another option and thanks to American Express Platinum customer service they find us a room at the most amazing 5 star hotel in Santorini at Canaves Oia Suites which happens to be one of The 50 best hotels in the world awarded by Conde Nast Traveler in 2017.
We were really happy that we were able to cancel our stay at the previous hotel and booked with Canaves Oia Suites. Canaves Oia Suites is a boutique hotel at the caldera in Oia with beautiful amenities, perfect santorini’s views and views to the volcano. The hotel has an infinity pool overlooking the sea and the town which is just pure bliss and they also have another pool around the restaurant. The hotel rooms are beautiful in all white. We were upgraded to a charming 2 bedroom suite with a pool overlooking the sea and a beautiful terrace. Still don’t know why we got a 2 bedroom suite but it was cool and a nice upgrade! The hotel service is just amazing and the food is really good too! I love that there is a gym, a spa and a boutique with so many amazing finds that you want to buy everything.
Canaves Oia Suites is located in Oia town, so you are seriously a walking distance to everywhere in Oia! There are many restaurants in the area as well as shops and of course the iconic caldera views, many stairs and the hidden hallways of Oia.
What to do:
Santorini is a very magical and romantic place so the best way to go is with your one and only! But if you haven’t found your one and only yet then going to Santorini with friends will be just fine!
- Walk around Oia I think Oia is the best out of the other villages! There is also Fira, Imerovigli and Thira but I found them to be more commercial and super crowded. Oia has the best views of the caldera, high end local shops and the best sunsets!
- Sunset in Oia! We were staying in Oia with amazing sea views and caldera views where the sunset was just perfect but also we visited the place in Oia where the sun sets and is really beautiful. The pathway there is just amazing!
- Explore, walk, eat and repeat! There are so many Instagram worthy places in Santorini that you will find a place, stairs, churches and hills to take pictures in. Trust me there are sooo many!!!
- Relax and chill out by the hotel’s pool by looking at the ocean.
- Shop around Oia. The best shops I found where the Boutique at our hotel Canaves Oia Suites and Soho Soho in Oia.
- Sunset cruise around the Aegean sea.
- If you are into beaches with rocks there are a few to check out!
- And if you are into adventures like us, rent an ATV to check the beaches and explore the other villages. There are amazing and breathtaking views all around Santorini!!
Where to Eat:
Here are my recommendations for the best and yummiest restaurants in Santorini. The food is just amazing and super fresh! So if you are a foodie.. you’re welcome!!!
- Karma restaurant in Oia. The most charming restaurant in Santorini. There is no sea view but the food is sooo good!!! Perfect for lunch or dinner. We ate twice here during our trip!! Everything on the menu is just amazing and I love that they have so many vegetarian/vegan options!
- Argo in Fira. Great sea and caldera view and really good greek food with a trendy vibe.
- Roka in Oia, yummy food but no views!
- Floga Santorini great for dinner. If you go during the day you will see amazing views.
- Amoudi Fish Taverna at the port below Oia. You can take the really long stairs or arrive by car. The views are amazing.
- Ovac at Cavo Tagoo for the sushi lovers! Amazing caldera and sea views and extra yummy food!
- Best coffee and freddo in Santorini is at Passaggio in Oia. I’m a huge fan of the freddo espresso in Greece! I love it so much that tried making it at home but it was not the same 🙁
My trip to Santorini was so magical!! I felt in love with Greece and even more with Santorini.. I think it was love at first sight… thinking about it makes me feel butterflies in my stomach.. that’s how much I love it and specially going there with my boo! The views, the hidden pathways, the stairs and sunsets are somehow close to heaven! There is nothing like Santorini, there is just this amazing good feeling vibe in the air and you will love it as much as I did!
Can’t wait for my next travel destination!!